Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Tablecloth




The Tablecloth by Brenda Hughes Vanderpool





Paperback: 172 pages
Publisher: Booklocker.com, Inc.
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1601455232
ISBN-13: 978-1601455239
"This book is an inspirational memoir about a small-town, ordinary woman who has had more than her share of heartache,trauma and loss; and yet views her life, not as tragic, but rather as rich and blessed."

The Tablecloth is the remarkable story of an ordinary woman from the Bluegrass state of Kentucky - how could I not like a story by someone from my home state? Vanderpool has been through the trials and tribulations of most everyday women, but she has also suffered tragedy and loss. Through it all, she has managed to keep her faith and unbiased point of view.

Like many women from Kentucky, Vanderpool fell in love with and married her high school sweetheart when she was 18 - I can totally relate because I married my high school sweetheart when I was barely 17. Trying to make ends meet, she and her husband, Abe, were forced to move north to look for work.

They live a normal life as young newlyweds, not realizing that tragedy is on their doorsteps. Just as they are celebrating the birth of their 2nd child, a son, they are also faced with personal devastation when their 1st child, a daughter, dies. In dealing with grief, the couple realizes how much they miss their families, so they make the decision to return to their Kentucky roots.

Vanderpool's lyrical prose shows us that God has a purpose for our lives and that all things happen for a reason. It would be so easy to become cynical and bitter after the death of a child, but through the grace of God the family sticks together.

Heartbreak and hardships were not done with Vanderpool, but she has been able to persevere. This book will make you laugh and it will make you cry and you will not want to stop reading until you reach the very end - and then you will be wanting more. I easily read this book in one sitting and then I immediately passed it on to family members to read.

You will not be disappointed by reading The Tablecloth. Vanderpool has a unique voice that begs to tell more stories. I eagerly await the next book by this talented author.

1 comment:

Helen Vickers said...

I totally agree. This was the best book I have ever read. I could just smell the inside of the graded school building and taste the peanut butter and syrup. OMG i felt like I was experiencing so many things like she did as I also lost a child. I grew up with Brenda and yes she is a very strong person and has always been. Thank you Brenda for the greatest book about my home town. We are waiting for more from you. You have been blessed with a talent, you need to use it. Helen Vickers