Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Way Back Wednesday - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book #4) by J. K. Rowling

Believe it or not, I have a love-hate relationship with this book. I think the part I didn't like was the other 2 schools of magic - I thought it was too long and drawn out. And I missed the Quiddich matches! But the graveyard scene with Lord Voldemort - purely awesome!

Goblet of Fire is the 4th book in the Harry Potter series and was published in July 2000. I can vividly remember waiting in line at Walmart to buy this book. Goblet won a Hugo Award in 2001 and it is the only Harry Potter book to do so.

This book shows the beginnings of teenage misery and indecision. Although Harry, Ron and Hermione remain best friends, throughout the first section of the book, Ron rages around in a jealous snit because Harry was chosen to participate in the Tri-Wizard Tournament. Ron believes Harry is lying when he tells everyone he did not enter the contest. Later, Ron realizes the truth and he is once again at Harry side. Later in the book, the green-eyed monsters rears its head again as Ron becomes jealous of Victor Krum because he is Hermione's date to the Yule Ball. Poor Ron, he just can't catch a break. Rowling has a unique way of showing the teenage drama wouldn't being obvious.

The storyline with Professor Moody/Barty Crouch, Jr. was brilliant! Just as I was shocked to discover that Scabbers was actually Peter Pettigrew in the 3rd book, finding out the true relationship between these 2 men caught me totally off guard - I just didn't see it coming.

Goblet is also the book where we realize that Ron may actually have feelings for Hermione that go beyond being best friends. I think this was a little foreshadowing on Rowling's part for the last books in the series.

I was pleased with the way this movie turned out, considering this was the biggest book to date. The movie manages to capture all the major plot points of the book.

1 comment:

KrisMrsBBradley said...

I just plain love this book. There were parts that were a little wordy, but I have to say, I looked so forward to this book coming out, I relished every word!

And now, knowing that there are no more to come, when I reread the series (I do so about every 6 months, lol), I still love every word.