Monday, October 6, 2008

Halfway to the Grave

Halfway to the Grave is the first book in the Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost. It is classified as a paranormal romance.

Catherine "Cat Raven" Crawfield is the night huntress, stalking and killing the undead. She is the product of a human mother who was raped by a newly turned vampire.

Cat's mother explanined her unusual history when Cat was 16 years old, and since that time, she has hunted the night, looking for vampires to kill in order to take vengence for her mother. Deep in the recesses of Cat's mind, she has also always been on the hunt for her "father."

Cat meets Bones, a vampire bounty hunter who was able to get the upper hand on Cat's killing tendencies. After some powerful persuasions and one-on-one fights, Cat ends up working with Bones to track and kill vampires. Bones manages to turn Cat from the typical girl next door to a sexy killing machine.

The one thing I noticed was the similarities to Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Although Cat is more sex kitten than Buffy, in my humble opinion, Buffy had more sum and substance. But I do have high hopes for Cat, because, after all, I wasn't crazy about Buffy during her first season (I actually hated the original movie). Bones is almost an exact copy of Spike (who was my favorite character in Buffy), right down to his English accent and the way he calls Cat "luv" or "pet" or "kitten".

This book is written in first person from Cat's point of view, and I enjoy reading first person narratives. This is a good beginning for the Night Huntress series and it has hooked me enough to give the next books a try.

2 comments:

Vickie said...

Bumping this one up on the wishlist. I am a huge Buffy and Spike fan....

Marg said...

I bought this one when it first came out because I loved the cover. Still haven't managed to read it yet!