Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Awakening

The Awakening (The Dark Powers trilogy #2) by Kelley Armstrong

Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 368 pages
Publisher: HarperCollins
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0061662763
ISBN-13: 978-0061662768
Chloe’s a teenager who likes Simon, but maybe likes Derek, and definitely hates Tori, who crushes on Simon, who kind of cares for Chloe. Sounds pretty typical. Except that Chloe’s a necromancer, Derek’s a werewolf, and Simon and Tori are sorcerers.
Just this little blurp on Amazon was enough to make me want to read this story, even if I hadn't read the first book, The Summoning.

If you’re looking for a nice light beach read for the summer, this 2nd book in Armstrong’s The Dark Powers trilogy may be just the thing.
Picking up where The Summoning left off, Chloe Saunders learns her DNA has been the center of an experiment to try and neutralize her supernatural powers. She learns her enemies are relentless and will stop at nothing to control her. Meanwhile, Chloe is working very hard to try and gain control of her powers, while keeping one step ahead of the Edison Group.

Although similar to the Twilight series with its theme of witches, werewolves and other urban fantasy creatures, this book will show you a whole other side to the supernatural. It is a great 2nd book in a series, so I highly recommend reading the first book as well.

Armstrong is also the author of the wildly popular adult series The Otherworld.

3 comments:

Oh said...

true confession: I missed when you changed your template but I LOVE it! and am now reading each entry to get caught up. I am already hot on my summer reading; have 3 books going. Don't you love summer?

Sassy Brit @ Alternative-Read.com said...

I love the blog look, too! So much I'm a follower. Great reviews. :)

Thanks for commenting on my blog - looking forward to getting to know you.

Sassy
:)

Anonymous said...

Once I am up to date on the latest two in her Women of the Otherworld series I will start this one. I have heard some great things about the first two books so far, glad you enjoyed it too.