Sunday, August 28, 2011

Numbered Bones

Numbered Bones by Bobby Steve Baker

Accents Publishing

Winged Series

• Paperback: 29 pages
• Publisher: Accents Publishing
• Language: English
• ISBN-10: 1936628007
• ISBN-13: 978-1936628001

Numbered Bones is Bobby Steve Bakers debut chapbook of poetry, and one of Accents Publishing's Winged Series, which features entries from the 2010 poetry chapbook contest.

Because of the subject matter of this think chapbook, I could relate to the medically filled poems. This may be Bobby’s first book of poetry, but I think we will soon be seeing more.

The poem, On Purpose, has a line that I love:
Distant, growling thunder wakes me
from the sleep of nothingness…
There is No Medicine for What I’ve Got is such a serious poem that it borderlines on the horrific side, but I had to read it again and again because it spoke to my heart.
Deep cuts, through deep cuts
bright red in the water of the bath …
… The deep swallow.

I also liked 747 Starboard Window:
… But I am high above the earth with sacred
soda, gin turned ceremonial with rind-thin twists of lime,
watching my sun un-set.
For a man who is a cosmetic surgeon, the chapbook made my numbered bones ache. Bobby made me squirm and hurt as the words hammered on. For a first collection of poetry, it was written with powerful words and painful truths. Excellent!



No comments: