Friday, October 24, 2008

The Good Person Guidebook

The Good Person Guidebook: Transforming Your Personal Life by Richard Bayer, Ph.D

Paperback: 294 pages
Publisher: Five O' Clock Books (June 15, 2008)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0944054161
ISBN-13: 978-0944054161

When I received this book to review, I wasn't one hundred percent sure I was going to enjoy it. Typically "self-help" books are long on personal stories and short on advice. But The Good Person Guidebook was not what I was expecting; it was much more.

This book is divided into three main sections:
--A Perspective on Ethics
--Virtue: What type of person should I be
--Guidelines: what must we do

I learned how to make ethical decisions, respect human dignity and how to make long-standing goals. It clarifies good business practices versus bad business practices and helps to steer you in the direction of making the right business decisions.

Each new chapter begins with a famous quote, and because I love to collect quotes, this endeared me to the author. Also, at the end of each chapter you will find questions to consider and questions for group discussions. These are helpful if the book is being used in a business training session. I also enjoyed reading The Golden Rules from many different religions.

If you enjoy reading and learning about ethics and morality, especially with how they relate to business, then this is the book for you. Slightly larger than a trade paperback, it is easy to carry with you and read on the go.

No comments: