Thursday, December 4, 2008

O the Clear Moment

O the Clear Moment by Ed McClanahan

Hardcover: 208 pages
Publisher: Counterpoint (September 1, 2008)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1582434301
ISBN-13: 978-1582434308

This Kentucky authored book contains 9 short stories of autobiography from McClanahan’s past. Raised in Bracken County in the 1940s, we get a humorous look at life in a small town. These quirky, eccentric tales are reminiscent of stories I heard from my parents and grandparents.

“Hey Shoobie!” is one of my favorites because it reminds me of growing up with my best friend in a small rural subdivision. Although we never climbed the water tower, we did have some similar adventures.

Other favorite story titles include: “Another Great Moment in Sports”; “Dog Loves Ellie,” which reminds me of awkward high school dances; and “Fondelle or, The Whore with a Heart of Gold”, which chronicles his adventures while hitchhiking one summer on college break.

Coming from a small town I appreciate the rural humor McClanahan brings to his stories - his characters seem like friends because they are the same types of people I meet in my everyday life. I recommend this fun read as an insightful look into the mind of an eccentric author.

No comments: